500 GPM Fire Trailer Pump Unit
In 1943, the State office of Civil Defense had offered to furnish free of charge to fire companies a 500 GPM Fire Trailer Pump unit. Harford County applied and was approved for seven of the units. They would be given to Aberdeen, Havre de Grace, Edgewood, Abingdon, and Jarrettsville. Bel Air would receive two of the trailers. The trailers were designed to be hooked up to the back of automobiles and were modeled after similar units used during the London Blitz. The original intent was to use them for possible air raids, but with that threat eliminated, the use will be as supplementary equipment for regular fire-fighting. The trailers consisted of a motor, a 500 GPM pump and the necessary suction hose. They also had some small tools mounted on the outside of the trailer for use in fire fighting operations. The two trailers arrived in March of 1944 and served the fire company for several years. The disposition of the trailers is not known.