1953 International L-140 Pumper Tanker
Engine 3 (1953), Engine 33 (1960), Engine 313 (1972)
This unit was designed and ordered in 1952 from F.L. Anderson Company of Baltimore for over nine thousand dollars. It was delivered in early 1953 to Bel Air and was placed in service in February of 1953. It answered its first alarm on February 23, 1953 for a field and woods fire on the Miller property located on MacPhail Road.
The unit was equipped with a Barton-American Class B 500 GPM Front Mount Pump, a 800 gallon booster tank, 2 booster reels, mounted behind the cab, carrying 250 feet each of ¾ inch hose with Hardy nozzles, 400 feet of 2 ½ inch hose, 250 feet of 1 ½ inch hose, a 24 foot extension ladder and a 14 foot roof ladder. It also carried all the necessary appliances and tools. A special feature of this unit was that it also carried a 200 GPM portable pump.
The unit served the fire company until 1973, when it was replaced by a new Seagrave pumper. Its last alarm was on October 9, 1973 for a building fire at Crystal’s Motel on Bel Air Road. The unit was sold on October 14, 1973 to Robert Hicks, the owner of Vale Landscaping.