1939 Dodge 4×4 2 Ton Tanker
In 1944 the fire company purchased a 1939 Dodge 4 x 4 2 ton World War II surplus chassis. A 660 gallon tank was donated by the Corbin Fuel Company, where it had been used on a horse drawn kerosene tank wagon. The fire company members did all the work on the unit, including mounting the tank. When first placed in service, it towed a 1944 Civil defense trailer that was equipped with a 500 GPM pump. Eventually the company members would modify the tanker to include a 500 GPM Front Mount Pump. It carried very little equipment besides a few hand tools, hard suction hoses and rolled sections of 2 ½ inch hose.
The unit was placed in service in late 1945 and on November 15, 1945 responded to its first alarm for a fatal house fire on the Hughes Property near Darlington.
The unit served the fire company until March 24, 1953 when it was sold to the Level Volunteer Fire Company. They were a new fire company in the county and this was the first piece of fire apparatus they owned.