1977 Seagrave Pumper / Squad
In June of 1976 the fire company accepted the engine committee’s recommendation and accepted a bid from Fire Equipment Supply Company for a new Seagrave pumper.
The pumper would have a major change from the previous three Seagrave pumpers the company had recently purchased. It would have a different compartment configuration than the previous Seagrave pumpers the company had purchased. This design change was made because the unit was going to be used primarily automobile accident and rescue assignments. The extra compartment room allowed for extra rescue tools and gear to be carried, along with all the equipment that still made it a Class A pumper for fires.
The pumper was equipped with a Detroit Diesel 8V71 engine, Jacobs engine brake, Allison HT 740 automatic transmission, Waterous 2 stage 1250 GPM CMYC pump, 600 gallon booster tank, 2 20 gallon foam tanks, Winco 4.5 KW generator, a potable monitor mounted over the pump that was supplied by a short section of 3 inch hose when mounted on the pumper, a hose bed that contained 1600 feet of 3 inch hose that was divided in half for two 800 foot lays, two 1 ½ preconnects of 150 feet and 200 feet with spare hose and a 100 feet of 2 ½ with nozzle, but not preconnected. In addition the pumper carried an aluminum 3 section 35 foot extension ladder, an aluminum 14 foot roof ladder and a 10 foot folding ladder. The standard complement of tools, hooks, extinguishers, smoke ejectors, hand lights and appliances were also carried.
The pumper \squad was also equipped with a full complement of rescue tools. It was outfitted with an electrically powered hydraulic HURST Rescue Tool, a 10 ton Porta-A-Power, Stokes basket, a line throwing gun, ropes and rigging, high and low pressure air chisels, high pressure air bags, chains, hooks, adapters, jacks, cribbing and a complement of EMS gear such as an IV kit, trauma bags, orthopedic stretcher, splints, and portable oxygen.
The pumper was inspected at the factory by members of the engine committee in April of 1977 before being delivered to Bel Air. Once in Bel Air the unit was outfitted and was placed in service n July 5, 1977. The pumper answered its first alarm on July 6, 1977 for an automobile accident on Route 22 at Bynum Run.
The pumper served the fire company for many years until it was placed out of service in June of 1993 and sold to the Mary D Fire Company of Mary D, Pennsylvania in July of 1993.