1973 Seagrave Model PB1000 Pumper
In February of 1971 a committee was appointed to develop specifications and request bids for a new pumper. After receiving and reviewing all the bids, on February 1, 1972 the fire company signed a contract with Fire Equipment Supply Company for a Seagrave Model PB1000 pumper.
The pumper would have several changes from the previous two Seagrave pumpers the company had recently purchased. It had a “P” style cab as Seagrave had stopped making the “K” style and it had a diesel engine.
The pumper was equipped with a Detroit Diesel 8V71 engine, Jacobs engine brake, Spicer 5 speed transmission, Seagrave 2 stage centrifugal 1000 GPM pump, 600 gallon booster tank, 3.2 KW generator, a potable monitor mounted over the pump that was supplied by a short section of 3 inch hose when mounted on the pumper, a hose bed that contained 1600 feet of 3 inch hose that was divided in half for two 800 foot lays, two 1 ½ preconnects of 150 feet and 200 feet with spare hose and a 100 feet of 2 ½ with nozzle, but not preconnected. In addition the pumper carried an aluminum 35 foot extension ladder, an aluminum 14 foot roof ladder and a 10 foot folding ladder. The standard complement of tools, hooks, extinguishers, smoke ejectors, hand lights and appliances were also carried.
The pumper was inspected at the factory by members of the engine committee on September 24, 1 973 and then driven back to Bel Air. The pumper was placed in service on October 14, 1973 and answered its first alarm on October 22, 1973 for a dwelling fire on Fallston Road.
The pumper served the fire company for many years until it was placed out of service in 1993 and sold to the Natural Bridge Volunteer Fire Company of Natural Bridge, Virginia on December 12, 1993.