1978 Seagrave 1250GPM Pumper
In June of 1977 the fire company accepted the engine committee’s recommendation and accepted a bid from Fire Equipment Supply Company for a new Seagrave pumper. The pumper would have the same specifications as the 1976 Seagrave with the exception of the extra high side compartments being removed and a diesel generator being added above the pump area instead of in a compartment.
The pumper was equipped with a Detroit Diesel 8V71 engine, Jacobs engine brake, Allison HT 740 automatic transmission, Waterous 2 stage 1250 GPM CMYC pump, 600 gallon booster tank, 2 20 gallon foam tanks, Onan 6 KW diesel generator, a potable monitor mounted over the pump that was supplied by a short section of 3 inch hose when mounted on the pumper, a hose bed that contained 1600 feet of 3 inch hose that was divided in half for two 800 foot lays, two 1 ½ preconnects of 150 feet and 200 feet with spare hose and a 100 feet of 2 ½ with nozzle, but not preconnected. In addition the pumper carried an aluminum 3 section 35 foot extension ladder, an aluminum 14 foot roof ladder and a 10 foot folding ladder. The standard complement of tools, hooks, extinguishers, smoke ejectors, hand lights and appliances were also carried.
The pumper was inspected at the factory by members of the engine committee in January of 1979 before being delivered to Bel Air. Once in Bel Air the unit was outfitted and was placed in service on March 28, 1979. The pumper answered its first alarm on March 28, 1979 for a chimney fire on Shelburne Road. It ran its last alarm on May 6, 1993 for an automatic alarm on Jessica’s Court in Bel Air.
The pumper served the fire company for many years until it was placed out of service in June of 1993 and sold to a neighboring fire company, the Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company of Harford County.