1967 Seagrave Model KB1000 Pumper
Engine 34 (1967), Engine 314 (1972)
In 1966 the officers of the fire company notified the Board of Directors that a new pumper was needed. The specifications were written and bids received. On October 18, 1966 the fire company signed a contract with Fire Equipment Supply Company of Silver Spring, Maryland for a new Seagrave Model KB1000 pumper.
The pumper was equipped with a 325 HP Waukesha gasoline engine, Spicer 5 speed transmission, Seagrave 2 stage centrifugal 1000 GPM pump, 600 gallon booster tank, rear step mounted booster reel containing 200 feet of 1 inch booster hose, 3000 watt generator, a potable monitor mounted over the pump that was supplied by a short section of 3 inch hose when mounted on the pumper, a hose bed that contained 1600 feet of 3 inch hose that was divided in half for two 800 foot lays, two 1 ½ preconnects of 150 feet and 200 feet with spare hose and one 150 foot 2 ½ inch preconnect with spare hose. In addition the pumper carried an aluminum 35 foot extension ladder, an aluminum 14 foot roof ladder and a 10 foot folding ladder. The standard complement of tools, hooks, extinguishers, smoke ejectors, hand lights and appliances were also carried.
The pumper was delivered to Bel Air in December 1967 on a large tractor trailer with the front tires half flat to reduce height. The unit had to be unloaded at the Kefauver Lumber Company loading dock in Bel Air and driven to the fire station. The member immediately got to work placing the unit in service and it answered its first alarm on January 13, 1968 for a working dwelling fire at 300 Wakefield Drive in Bel Air.
After working with this pumper for several weeks the members liked it so much that it was called “The Spoiler” due to the fact that it was fast, handled well, had a good supply of water, and a large pump.
The pumper served the fire company for many years until it was deemed to need replacement. It ran its last alarm on April 8, 1983 for a dwelling fire at 1306 Southwell Lane in Bel Air. The pumper was sold on September 3, 1985 to the Smithfield Township Volunteer Fire Company of East Smithfield, Pennsylvania.