1993 Simon Duplex Saulsbury Pumpers
In August 1991 a committee was appointed to replace three of the fire company’s pumpers. The committee spent many hours looking at demonstrators from different manufacturers, writing specifications and requesting bids. In November of 1992 the fire company voted to purchase three Saulsbury pumpers on Simon Duplex D-9400 chassis. All three pumpers were delivered to Bel Air on November 11, 1993.
The pumpers were equipped with the following: Detroit Diesel Series 60 450 HP engines, Hale 1500 GPM pumps, 750 gallon booster tanks, 50 gallon foam tanks, Feecon around the pump foam systems, Onan 7.5 KW generators, DDEC pressure governors, hydraulically operated valves, pre-piped monitors above the pump panel that could be made portable, RUDD automatic snow chains, a hose bed that contained 1200 feet of 5 inch hose, 400 feet of 3 inch hose, two 150 foot 1 ¾ preconnects, one 200 foot 1 ¾ preconnect, and one 250 foot 1 ¾ preconnect and a 100 foot 1 ¾ front bumper preconnect. In addition the pumpers had double high side compartments, and a hydraulic ladder rack containing an aluminum 3 section 35 foot extension ladder, an aluminum 14 foot roof ladder and a 10 foot folding ladder. The standard complement of tools, hooks, extinguishers, smoke ejectors, hand lights and appliances were also carried.
Engine 312 was also fitted out with a complete AMKUS hydraulic rescue tool system. All of the three pumpers had been configured so that they could carry a set of rescue tools that could be moved from pumper to pumper with just a few compartment shelf reconfigurations. This was done so that the fire company could always maintain a backup squad to Rescue 351 or handle a second rescue box assignment.
Engine 311 was placed into service on December 23, 1993 and that same day responded to its first alarm at 6 Colgate Drive for a building fire. It answered its last alarm on April 7, 2007 for a dwelling fire at 301 Merrie Lane. It was sold shortly after to the Friendship Volunteer Fire Company of Altus, Oklahoma.
Engine 312 was placed into service on January 12, 1993 and that same day responded to its first alarm at 29 South Main Street for an automatic alarm at the Red Fox Restaurant. It answered its last alarm on March 6, 2007 for a hazardous condition at 328 Ewing Street. It was sold shortly after to the Rineyville Volunteer Fire Department of Rineyville, Kentucky.
Engine 313 was placed into service on December 23, 1993 and that same day responded to its first alarm at 6 Colgate Drive for a building fire. It answered its last alarm on January 1, 2007 for a gas leak inside at 696 Bel Air Road. It was sold shortly after to the Muncy Creek Community Fire Company of Muncy, Pennsylvania.