2002 Spartan Saulsbury Heavy Rescue Pumper
In 2000 the fire company appointed a committee to being looking into the replacement of the 1990 Spartan Saulsbury Rescue Pumper. The committee spent many months looking at demonstrators from different manufacturers, writing specifications and requesting bids. In October of 2001 the fire company voted to purchase a Spartan Saulsbury Heavy Rescue Pumper.
The unit was delivered to Bel Air in December of 2002 and after being placed in service, the unit was found to be overweight, as it originally had a single read axle, due to an engineering error. The unit was placed out of service and returned to the factory for remanufacture in October of 2003. The remanufacture would consist of adding a second axle to the chassis and installing a longer body.
The unit was a Spartan Gladiator cab and chassis with an E-One\Saulsbury Stainless Steel body. The unit was a fully equipped Class A pumper and Heavy Rescue unit, featuring a Detroit Diesel Series 60 500 HP engine, Allison 4000 EVS 5-Speed transmission, RUDD snow and ice chains, a Hale QMAX Single Stage 1500 GPM pump, 750 gallon tank and an integral 150 gallon foam tank with a Feecon AP-2 around the pump foam system. The hose bed contains 1200 feet of 5 inch hose, 400 feet of 3 inch hose, two 200 foot 1 ¾ preconnects and one 100 foot 1 ¾ front bumper mounted trash line. The unit had a 1000 GPM pre-piped monitor above the pump panel. The unit also carried all the NFPA standard tools of an engine company such as ladders, axes, hooks, halligan bars, smoke ejectors, rope, extinguishers, and various tips for the monitor, etc.
The unit has a Harrison PTO-Driven 10 KW hydraulic generator, front bumper mounted 12 12,000 lb hydraulic winch and a portable 12 volt 5000 lb, winch with side and rear receiver ports. It carries the AMKUS Ultimate HRT System with 4 reel lines and a full complement of seven hydraulic rescue tools. It also carries high and medium pressure air bags plus a wide assortment of specialized rescue tools, power tools and hand tools.
The unit remanufacture was completed in February of 2004 and returned to Bel Air. The unit was placed in service on March 2, 2004 and answered its first alarm that same day. The call was for an automobile accident on Churchville Road, just east of Bel Air.